Poetry is a language Of powerful thoughts and imagery, it can strike in the heart of man, it can shape lives and actions. Then can it not be used to enhance to the finder qualities of man? Rather than providing shallow enjoyment? And promoting the baser instincts? If I was a poet, I would like my words To compell the soul, To pursue the true pupose of existence. Oh, what wouldn’t I give to go on collecting my reward, Beyond this life....

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Chapter 4

Raihana was staring at the man as if mesmerised. The man was staring likewise through his half-open eyes. He was thinking: 'Am I awake or am I sleeping? Am I dreaming or am I in the throes of strange imaginings?'

Seeing the man stare intently at Raihana, Zeina whispered into her ear, "Tell him that you are a hoor; just ascended from the Heaven."

Raihana giggled and rolled her eyes. Zeina gestured with her hands "Let us go."

Raihana pinched her friend playfully. "Mischief-maker! I'll teach you a lesson you will never forget."

The man looked around, then lifted his eyes to the sun. He noticed the daylight and was overcome by sudden remorse. He muttered to himself, "Woe to me! The sun has risen. I have missed Fajr prayer!"

Raihana now spoke to the young man in her most feminine and beguiling tone, "We have only arrived."

The expression on his face was of extreme anxiety; as if he has lost something very dear and valuable to him. So Raihana enquired, "Did you lose something important?"

"No. I have missed my prayer," he answered.

"Is that all? Why must you be so upset to have missed a single prayer?"

"I beg your pardon! Is is not a thing of grave regret to miss one's communication with the Creator? I slept through the hour of Fajr! What can be a bigger loss?" He became indignant.

"I take it you are Muslim."

"Indeed I am. What about yourself?"

"I will answer you. But first, you must do your prayer."

The young man went away to answer the nature's call; then performed ablution at the well. He spread the same sheet which he had been sleeping on and then performed kada for his missed prayer.

While he was busy, the two friends fell into a fit of laughter. The man completed his supplication and stood.

Zeina said, "Your love-bird is about to fly. Will you not stop him?"

"I am not dying for him! If he wishes, let him go."

"Is that so? It certainly does not sound like the resonance of your heart."

Raihana started at her friend and Zeina manoeuvred herself out of the way. The young man picked up his sheet to fold it neatly and then made for his camel.

"Raihana!" Zeina said urgently, "He is leaving. Go and detain him, otherwise you will be sorry!"

Raihana wanted more than anything to run to him and ask him to stay. But she was afraid of her friend's teasing and jesting. She knew Zeina would relay it to all and sundry. Therefore, she hung her head and picked at the earth with her toes.

The man turned to Raihana again, holding the ropes of his camel. "I assume this garden belongs to you."

"My father is the owner, " replied she, absently.

"Then it is yours. I owe you a debt of gratitude for having rested in your garden and having had a luxurious sleep."

"You are leaving?"

"Yes. I must be on my way."

"I suspect you are coming from far?"

"You are right."

"Where are you coming from?"

"Makkah."

"But this is not the road from Makkah!"

"I took a different route."

"Is someone following you?"

"Makkans are the worst enemies of Islam. They have been following me for some time. But Allah has brought me here under His protection."

"Where do you intend to go now?"

"Madinatunnabi."

"Wrong. The name is Yathrib."

Though originally called Yathrib, the city was named Madinatunnabi, meaning 'City of the Prophet (S)' after Prophet Muhammad (S) migrated there from Makkah. Most people now called it only 'Madinah.'

The man now looked straight at Raihana and held her gaze. "I have asked you before, 'Who are you?' You did not give me an answer."

"And I have said 'I will give you an answer.'"

"I would like to know now, if you please!"

"Not now, later."

"As you wish."

As he proceeded to leave finally, Raihana called out, "You are leaving truely?"

"What else is here for me?"

"You did not have breakfast."

He turned without stopping, "That's right. Never mind. I have breakfast with me. I'll stop somewhere on the way."

Raihana espied a small leather-pack on the back of the camel. She appealed to him earnestly, "Save this for another meal."

"Very well. I'll have breakfast after I arrive in Madinah. How far is it from here?"

"You did not come this way before, did you?"

"No."

"It is about two miles from here. You will see the dwellings of Madinah once you cross this garden."

"What a pity! I could have have reached Madinah last night instead of camping here."

Pointing at herself Raihana quipped, "How would you have met the Hoor of Madinah otherwise?"

"Indeed! How could you meet the one and only Hoor of Madinah, whose beauty is saught by more men than can be counted?" giggled Zeina.

Rainaha looked daggers at her. The young man did also. Zeina restrained her tongue.

"This is my bosom friend," said Rainan to the man.

"Bosom friend or beloved friend- it can only be a person who has courtesy and good manners."

"Am I ill-mannered? 'Tis only the truth!" said Zeina.

"Be quiet, Zeina." Raihana hissed.

"Very well. I will leave," said Zeina.

"Are you angry with me?" asked Raihana.

"I am sorry to be the cause of ill feelings between you," said the young man. "It was not my intention."

"I am not angry. But what did I say that was wrong?"

"You should not praise the beauty of a woman in front of a man, a stranger with whom she does not have a lawful relationship," he said.

"But she is present!"

"Even then, it is not right. At least, we Muslims believe it to be a trait of ill character."

"I am sorry. Please forgive me," said Zeina.

"I did not say this for you to beg forgiveness," he smiled.

"But one must seek forgivess for ill-manners."

"Indeed! Such is part of courteous conduct."

"We were speaking of breakfast," reminded Raihana.

"I told you of my decision. I will have breakfast at Madinah."

"When my father hears that a traveller has passed by our garden and we failed to give him breakfast, he will not be pleased," she said.

"You are Qaab Ibn Asad's daughter, are you not?"

"Yes."

"I have heard of your father. He is in habit of taking secret counsel with Makkans, and plotting against the Muslims."

"Hearsay may very well be wrong." Even though Raihana knew about her father's moves, she pretended ingorance of the matter.

"You are right. I will know the truth at Madinah."

"Breakfast?" persisted Raihana.

"I am not hungry."

"At least have some dates."

"I beg your pardon."

"'Tis not right!"

"Do not trouble yourself unnecessarily."

"Wait a little longer, then."

"The sun is getting hotter."

Finally, Raihana was silenced and the young man lead his camel in the direction of Madinah. Raihana looked upon his departing figure with a heavy heart.

Zeina tunred her friend away gently. She said, "I am pleased about one thing. You were very proud of your beauty and attraction. You expected people to thank their good fortune to be able to catch a little glimpse of you. You thought everyone lower than yourself. This stranger destroyed your pride and taught you a lesson in humility."

"Must you rub salt in my wound, Zeina? Fine, please yourself. Indeed I was arrogant and conceitful; proud of my beauty. I expected men to follow me endlessly and sumbit to all my whims. But this man....this man completely disregarded me. I held out my heart and he rejected it without a moment's thought! He left here without the slightest remorse! Muslims indeed are distinguised by their self-pride."

"'Tis more than that. They are full of conceit and arrogance!"

"He shamed my femininity! He undermined my charm and attraction! I will not stand it. I must have revenge!" cried Raihana.

"So you must!" Zeina also cried unison.

"You may stand witness. I make it my mission to avenge the rejection of my love!"

"So you must!" Zeina said again, though in a mocking tone this time.

"Do you have no sympathy for me?" Rainaha had sensed her friend's mockery.

"I am only jesting Raihana. I do not mean to hurt your feelings! Who does this man think he is? Just an ordinary Arab, a Muslim at that! What right has he for such pride and arrogance?"

"Alas! Would that I did not come here this morn! Would that I had never lay eyes on him!"

"Stop it! Forget him. Let us continue our walk."

"I am not feeling very well. Let us return."

Zeina gave up after trying a few things to engage her friend's attention and distract her from thoughts of the stranger. But it was no use. Therefore, both friends climbed into the sedan chair in an unhappy mood and ordered the bearers to take them home.

« chapter 3 « » chapter 5 »

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home