Poetry is a language Of powerful thoughts and imagery, it can strike in the heart of man, it can shape lives and actions. Then can it not be used to enhance to the finder qualities of man? Rather than providing shallow enjoyment? And promoting the baser instincts? If I was a poet, I would like my words To compell the soul, To pursue the true pupose of existence. Oh, what wouldn’t I give to go on collecting my reward, Beyond this life....

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Chapter 1

“Rehana, where are you headed my daughter?” the questioner was a man rich and arrogant in appearance. His beard was grey, having already been through the prime of life. His garments were rich and worn with a carefree sophistication. The heavily embroidered cloak over his ankle-length thobe made the middle aged man appear very distinguished. Indeed, he was chieftain to the renowned Jewish tribe of Banu Quraizah. His name was Qaab Ibn Asad.

Raihana was his daughter. Her beauty was dazzling as her disposition was cheerful. Her milky white complexion, smooth brow and deep, dark eyes were the envy of all girls. Her gaze was so direct that when she glanced at something, it was as if a lightning had flashed brilliantly. Her lips were rosy and tender and when she smiled, her small perfectly shaped teeth glittered like so many pearls. Her long hair was soft as velvet, cascading below her waist in a graceful wave. She wore upon her body a gown of costly silk. Her beauty was too much to belong to a mortal woman. It was as though a Heavenly Hoor as descended upon the earth!

“I wish to walk in the garden, father.” She replied with due respect.

“Tis much too early! Why, the sun hasn’t peaked over the horizon yet.”

“Hence this is the perfect hour for a walk. When the sun is over the head, the heat unbearable- is that the time for a pleasant walk, father?”

“I only fear the Muslims. They are of corrupt and immoral character. If they harass you, I fear it will lead to unnecessary bloodshed.”

“But father! I have told you many times that the Muslims are not corrupt. They fear their God and they have good manners. They do not even glance completely at a woman, let alone harass them. I am yet to see a Muslim wrongfully gaze at women or ogle their beauty. Rather, it’s the men of our tribe who are a nuisance- they bar my way, annoy me and make crude remarks!”

“I’ll never understand why you defend the Muslims. I believe they are the worst of people!”

“How can I call a people corrupt, when I haven’t seen any sign of corruption in them?” replied Raihana.

“So you do not see any wrongdoing in them. But what do you see that is respectable? They are devoted to a madman!”

“These are lies are spread by the Quraish of Makkah. You and I both saw Muhammad. We both heard his speech. Tell me truthfully, how does a madman speak in such an eloquent manner and utter words of such beauty, logic and coherence?”

“If he is not mad, then surely he is a sorcerer. He makes his enemies forget their hatred and become his devoted followers. Is this not sorcery? Whatever he commands, his followers obey without thinking left or right. If this is not sorcery, then I don’t know what is?

“Tis not sorcery. ’Tis his wisdom, knowledge and charisma. When one cannot refute his logical concepts, then one has no choice but to admit to his superior guidance. Where is the sorcery in that?”

“You are of tender age, my daughter. You do not understand these things. It is pure sorcery I say- to have such control over people.” Qaab took a breath; then continued.
“Listen to me my daughter. We hold enmity towards this man and his followers for the only reason that we believe the last Prophet would come from among us. This man destroyed our hope by claiming Prophethood. He ruined our dreams, our plans. Furthermore, he is going to become the ruler of Yathrib. What right has he to rule Yathrib? This authority was destined for Abdullah Ibn Ubayy. Since the coward became Muslim, the next candidate was myself- it is my right to rule Yathrib. Suddenly Muhammad demands that we sign a treaty which says: ‘Muslims and Jews will live together as mutual friends. Those who oppose Muslims will become our enemies as well. If anybody attacks Yathrib, we are obliged to defend it together!’ Muhammad’s sorcery had such power over me that I too signed the treaty without thinking about it.” Qa’ab said.
“You did no such thing. You signed it because you knew very well that it was practical and acceptable to both parties.”

“Enough! I do not wish to argue with such a shrewd politician and opinionated woman. You are right. I signed the treaty because it was practical.”

“But hear me, my own daughter. I do not care for the treaty. I would break it and tear apart its deed at the slightest opportunity.”

“Will that be honourable, father?” asked Raihana.

“An astute politician keeps in tune with the calling of time. He uses whatever means to achieve his ends. When I signed that treaty with the Muslims, that was the only way of gaining their trust and our security. And when we stand to gain more by breaking that treaty, by God that is the only right thing to do! This is the nature of politics.”

“Is politics nothing but treachery and deception then? Are politicians nothing but liars and traitors?”

“Many politicians operate in that way.”

“God forbid! But our religion does not permit lying!”

“Politics has nothing to do with religion.”

“Even if they are not related, lying, deception, treachery are acts of evil; punishable by God!”

“You do not understand it, Raihana. Politicians know how religion applies to our affairs. ’Tis not of your concern. Go on, off to your walk.”

“That is where I was going before you…..”

“Pardon me, daughter. You make take your leave.”

“May I ask you a question, father.”

“You may.”

“Where are you going so early yourself?”

“I mean to meet a man.”

“Who is he?”

“Even I do not know well the answer to that question.”

“You are not playing politics with me I hope?” said Raihana, while laughing.

“Don’t by silly, my girl! Politics between you and me?” Qaab laughed also.

“Then why will you not say who is this man?”

“I really do not know much about him.”

“Where is he from?”

“I do not know.”

“Strange! You seem to know nothing!”

“’Tis true. I do not know anything about him yet.”

“Who informed you of his arrival?”

“Our rabbi. He maybe awaiting me at this very hour.”

“Where will you go?”

“The rabbi will direct me.”

“Did you not ask him?”

“Indeed I did. But he is not an open man. You will know all tomorrow.”

“I see. I will not delay you any longer, father.”

“I’m certainly on my way. What about you? Did you decide otherwise about your walk?”

“No, I will be on my way as well.”

“Off you go. But be back soon.” Said Qa’ab.

“I will. Once the sun is high, the walk will remain pleasant no longer.”

Raihana started off after her quick reply. In a graceful swagger, she climbed into her sedan chair which procced to be carried to one of her father’s many gardens.

« foward « » chapter 2 »

7 Comments:

Blogger Shapps said...

Nice worrk. Keep it up. It looks like it will take quite a while!

Friday, September 09, 2005 4:57:00 PM

 
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

yes and thanks. Come again soon.

Friday, September 09, 2005 5:02:00 PM

 
Blogger *Under*Cover*Sister* said...

wow...ur translating it all???..so what language was it originaly in?
This story is soo cool, well written and easy to read..omg i want a copy *faints*

Keep up with the great work..you now have a blog stalker..me!!!

Friday, September 09, 2005 8:11:00 PM

 
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

ur welcome uc.cricketer! Originally the story is in Bengali...and neither my Bengali nor Enlish is all that great. But I'm happy to try...its fun!

Friday, September 09, 2005 11:30:00 PM

 
Blogger Bushra said...

You're doing really well with the translation.

The story on its own seems really good.

Most translated books that i've come across are quite hard to understand at times but with this your translating is very nice and simple.. easy to understand.

keep up the excellent work.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 10:53:00 PM

 
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

Jazakall to all for your kindly comments and encouragement!

Saturday, September 10, 2005 10:56:00 PM

 
Blogger »|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

yeah somebody else told me to do that...but I don't think I'm up to it....besides, trust me it won't be the same in English!

Monday, September 12, 2005 12:47:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home